Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Difficult Decision

I have been talking to my mom lately to see what she can help with in this project. She started telling me a lot of her ideas and what i should and should not write about. She told me a lot of her childhood stories back in Mexico and when she came to the US. I was paying a lot of attention as always when it comes to her real story telling. I have found out that my uncle Gregorio had to make a difficult decision between him and my sister. I was really intrigued so I thought I would blog about this, because it really relates to this project's number two question:
A difficult decision:Have you had to choose between yourself and a loved one? Who did you choose and why?
It's not really a decision I had to take, but my uncle had to.
The people in this story:
- Bertha is my grandmother.
- Javier is my grandfather.
- Gregorio, my uncle, when he was 6 years old.
- Veronica, my mother, when she was 8 years old.
-Jaime, my uncle, when he was a baby.
(Based on a real story)

It happens back in Tizapan el alto Jalisco, Mexico. In a little poor house that contain a big family of six, The Ramirez Family. They were a very poor family with very little income. The money they had was only used to pay bills and buy their food. If there was any money left they were able to buy clothing. Bertha would always leave her daughter with all her siblings and all the chores to do, while she goes off to work. Javier would leave to a hard intensive labor with their oldest son for months then come back with some money, but not much.
Bertha would leave money for Veronica on the table so she could go but the groceries. Veronica has always known about their money issues even though she was eight years old. She would only spend the money on what they needed and nothing else. She knew that if she wanted to buy some gum she would get beat for spending on something that was not in the grocery list. She went on doing everything her mother told her do just so she wont get beat.
One day Bertha left some money in her room. She left to work. Veronica was doing her daily chores. Cooking the meals for her four siblings. Her father, Javier ,had left to work out in the farms. Veronica took her three siblings to school. She was left with her baby brother.
The afternoon came along and Bertha came back home after a long day at work. She went to her bedroom to stash all her money under her mattress. She found out she was missing some money. She got very upset. She rampaged toward Veronica as bull going for the red towel. She started yelling, "Veronica! You took my money! How are you able to steel money from your own mother, when you know we are poor?!" Veronica answered, " I did not take any money from you. All I did today was feed the kids and dad, take them to school, finish the chores, and take care of Jaime." Bertha said, "Stop lying to me! You were the only one in here! Don't tell me your baby brother took it!" Veronica crying responded, " I didn't. I promise."
A couple minutes passed. They kept on going back and forth with the same thing. After a while Bertha told Veronica, " I am becoming inpatient with you! I would rather kill you than go homeless!" Veronica started to cry even more. Bertha got a rope and tied it to a pipe in the ceiling and started to hang Veronica, yelling, " You tell me where that money is or you will die!" Veronica denied everything.Bertha hanged her. Veronica was turning red.
Gregorio walked in the door and noticed what was happening. Quickly, he tackle Bertha and put Veronica down. Gregorio was crying and kept saying," My little sister. Oh my little sister!" Veronica was not dead she was just somewhat hurt. Bertha got up and grabbed both them and hanged both of them. Bertha said, " Oh yeah, your little sister. Oh your little sister. Now both of you are going to answer me...where is my money?!" They started turning purple. Bertha was still yelling for her money. Gregorio not able to breathe said, " I...I have it...It's in my boot!" She put them down, grabbed her money and went in her room.
Veronica asked Gregorio, "Di you really take the money?" Gregorio answered, "No, that was the money I made today from polishing shoes after school." Veronica with a face saying a million times thank you, hugged him.
He took the blame for something he did not do. 'Til this day the thief is still unknown.
Since that day both new that they should never screw up that bad and they never looked at there mother the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment