Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Tatum Article

(9.) Stereotypes, omissions,[7] and distortions all contribute to the development of prejudice. Prejudice is a preconceived[8] judgment or opinion, usually based on limited information.I assume that we all have prejudices, not because we want them, but simply because we are so continually exposed to misinformation about others. Though I have often heard students describe someone as not having “a prejudiced bone in his body,” I usually suggest that they look again.

(10.) Prejudice is one of the inescapable consequences of living in a racist society. Cultural racism—the cultural images and messages that affirm the assumed superiority of Whites and theassumedinferiority of people of color—is like smog in the air. Sometimes it is so thick it is visible, other times it is less apparent,[9] but always, day in and day out, we are breathing it in. None of us would introduce ourselves as “smog-breathers” (and most of us don’t want to be described as prejudiced), but if we live in a smoggy place, how can we avoid breathing the air? If we live in an environment in which we are bombarded with stereotypical images in the media, are frequently exposed to the ethnic jokes of friends and family members, and are rarely informed of the accomplishments of oppressed groups, we will develop the negative ideas about those groups that form the basis of prejudice. […]

During the first paragraph what I first highlighted was very important. Why? Because I stopped and made a very long paused saying, ooh.

What it meant to me was that, we are not just born with prejudice in us but we gather it from the little information we received from our parents and or adults in our surroundings. In the third sentence and the fourth I agreed while reading it. I reminded me of a song called I can see clearly now by Bob Marley. Even throughout the rest of this second paragraph mostly because of how the show there examples. By the way I think are very good ones. The phrase, assumed not proved kept popping up in my head during the second paragraph above. The third sentence on it was really nice that I loved it and want it tattooed on my wrist. I circled the word bombarded because to me it sounds really funny and I laugh every time I see, hear, or say it, for some weird reason. The last sentence or so that I highlighted I answered with the word dyeing, because its true you would die. I liked this two paragraph because of the good visual examples she provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment